7/27/07

Krispy Kreme, Block at Orange

I have a weakness, a burden I have carried most years of my life. It has made me the chubby kid back in elementary school and it resurfaced itself a couple years back when I weighed 220 pounds. Some people call it dessert, but I call it the deceptacon of deliciousness. Sure it tastes heavenly and pleases our tongue with each bite beckoning us to force in more food after every meal. Yet once you let dessert sink its fangs into you, you'll gain weight faster than Lindsay Lohan drinking her next alcholic beverage. I have with all my heart fought my desire to gobble up every dessert in sight for the past year, however due to my recent absintence from smoking, my craving for sweets has resurfaced 10 fold. For the last couple weeks my dessert of choice has been donuts.

Enter Krispy Kreme, brought to us by Vernon Rudolph on July 13th 1937. Vernon brought a secret (probably crack) yeast raised donut recipe from a french chef and with the help of rich investors has built what is known today as Krispy Kreme. Yes Krispy Kreme is a franchise and donut shops are dime a dozen around most cities, but I have never tried any donut that tasted better than Krispy Kreme. If someone knows of any donut shop that surpasses Krispy Kreme in taste please let me know. I care not for the nutrition value because I'm eating a donut aren't I?! If I wanted to stay healthy I wouldn't be eating donuts. How glorious it was when I opened my dozen assorted donuts from Krispy Kreme. The warm, sweet, and tart cinammon apple; The crunchy on the outside and moist on the inside glazed cruller; The moist and chocolaty chocolate cake! Most of you probably already tried Krispy Kreme. but I ask you when's the last time you have made the trip? Live it up, now is the time!





View Larger Map

3 comments:

bob.E said...

Hyuk,

If you really love donuts, you'll have to try Donut Man in Glendora. It's a drive, but it's worth it if you go in the late evenings, around 11pm, because that's when they're making fresh donuts. I think I showed you pics of their famous Strawberry Donut, but you have to try their Tiger Tails-- anything fresh they've just made is great... but if they don't have tiger tails, I wait because it's sooo worth it.

Chowhound's always given the place great reviews. This time of year, they should be doing their famous peach donuts.

Krispy Kreme's donuts have always been too sweet for me... I can only eat 1 or 2 and it's too much. Donut Man's donuts are sweet, but not overly... but everybody has their own preferences.

Donut Man
915 E Route 66
Glendora, CA 91740
Open 24 hours

h said...

Hey Bob.e

I remember you telling me about this place. It will be a matter of time before I hit the road for some fresh donuts.

The author of this post is not me. Notice the good grammar which I don't have. And I was never a fat kid. He is one of HungerGuide's co-authors. It is my goal to turn HG so that people will submit their own reviews. I am not a donut person but it sounded so delicious when I read his article.

galactus said...

How I would love to try Donut Man. Unfortunately it is all the way up at the northern tip of southern california. I have my fingers crossed that they'll one day open up a location much closer to me.