6/4/07

Happiest Places on Earth

I took KTX, the fastest train in Korea that travels up to 300 km/h (186 mph), from Daegu to Seoul. JS greeted me at Seoul Station, spent much time catching up while heading toward our next destination. We arrived at Eewa University to meet up with JS’s girl friend. FYI, Eewa is the top all women university in Korea. REPEAT, and underline, “all-women”. Suddenly surrounded by flock of college students. All of sudden, I could no longer resist the rushing emotions of gladness and joy of reuniting with long time friend and wonderful individual, JS. I gave him big hug and thank him. Here is my happiest place on earth #1.




Met up with HJ at the student lounge at Eewa. We stopped by Yeon Sae University and head down to the hip town of Shin Cheon. There is this chain of café named Minto, short for Minderle Youngto. This uniquely built, multi floor café is known for its own colorful culture and carefully selected waiters and waitresses. As soon as you enter, café staff greeted us by doing hand motion that you often see when 2 years old singing twinkle stars. Waitress are dressed in pink and white maid uniform that you may see in fairy tale. My friends kindly introduced me to our waitress as a wealthy man who owns most of livestock from the country of Ghana. And “yes”, she actually bought the idea and decided to give me special introduction of café. Regardless of the fact that we were placed in the isolated corner of 6th floor, there were plenty of views. Here is my happiest place on earth #2.






Reunited with my buddy, SJ, from elementary school then head to grab some Korean BBQ accompanied by some soju. Jumped to the bar for some beer. Then we headed toward the college town of Hong Dae, filled with clubs, bars, and restless young crowds. Every passing scene includes girls who dressed in clothes that indicate the early coming of summer, and more girls with even less clothes. So we took our chance of entering into this club to begin celebrating the reunion of very special friends. Paid $10 entrance fee times 4 plus $5 more for storing our belongings. Good mix of heart pumping hip hop music playing loudly from the stage. We all grabbed our share of beers and waiting for that moment #3. I saw few wannabe Korean b-boys making his ways to the dance floor. I saw more b-boys breaking and busting out their moves. Suddenly they formed a congregation of b-boys and dance among themselves. There must be like 20 guys dancing on the floor. I finished my beer, and still there is no change in scenery. I witnessed the biggest sausage fest in the history of mankind. We did not hesitate any second to leave the bar, in hopes of recovering ourselves from our damaged souls.




We quickly hopped onto taxi, headed to the busy town of Jong Roe, where night is still young. We entered this bar called “Mak-ju-chang-go”, that resembled bars along side of Pacific Beach in San Diego. Good music and excellent mix of crowds. Spent good portion of our evening there and finish off at some street vendor, eating dduk bok ki. I enjoyed the company of awesome friends, felt all sorts of noise in the air crashing with the 80s music, embodied ever precious culture of motherland right at the heart of Seoul. This is my happiest moment #3.


No comments: