8/29/07

To Eat Ja Jjang Myun or Jjam Pong, That is the Question.

Long time ago, Chinese immigrants came to Korea and brought along the wonderful gift of Chinese food. Over time, Chinese food deviated slowly from common Chinese dishes and progressed into entirely new breed of Korean-Chinese cuisine. Today, there are hundred thousands of Korean-Chinese restaurants spread all over the world. Korean-Chinese restaurants are like pizzarias to Americans. In a way that food evolved from different country and popularized and enjoyed by millions of Korean people.

Two most popular dishes in Korean-Chinese cuisine are ja jjang myun, black soybean paste noodle, and jjam pong, spicy mixed seafood noodle soup. Both very unique in taste and can't go wrong with choosing either one.

Now the question takes place. "What shall I eat between ja jjang myun and jjam pong?" Some genius came out with the solution. "Ja jjam pong", half ja jjang myun, half jjam pong. It's probably the best idea since the internet came out.





There is a new wave of ja jjang myun gain popularity in recent years. It is due to ja jjang myun often depicted in scenes from Korean dramas where actor/actress putting their faces in the serving bowl and gorge down the noodle with lots of slurping sound. I wonder how much of ja jjang myun sales fluctuate after such scenes air.

I'm still looking for good ja jjang myung place around Orange County. Please leave your comments with recommended Korean-Chinese restaurant information.

3 comments:

S.O.F.A.T. (Stories of Food and Travel) Blog said...

Hi, I was doing some research on Korean-Chinese food, and I came across your post on jajjangmyun and jjampong. I hear Peking Gourmet in Garden Grove is not bad.. I haven't tried it yet, but let me know what you think! I'm going to provide a link to your post from my blog. Is the name, 'I will smash your face into a... jelly!'? hahaha

Anonymous said...

I'm sorry, but the first sentence of this post makes it sound like Korean people didn't eat anything before Chinese people gave them the gift of food. What do you think Korean people ate before they received the gift of "Chinese Food"?

S.O.F.A.T. (Stories of Food and Travel) Blog said...

BTW, I tried out Peking Groumet in Garden Grove, and they have great jjambong and jjajangmyeon! Try it, and let me know what you think!